- Pre-Marital Counseling / Prevention.
- EFT Couples Counseling for Couples Caught in Painful Cycles.
- Depth-Couples-Counseling for Stable Couples.
- (Couples-Boot-Camp) Interactive, Supportive, Couples Enhancement Group.
- High Conflict Couples
- How To Forgive
- How To Listen In A Way That Your Partner’s Gut Feels It.
- MEN (and women) Who Don’t Like the Idea of Going to Therapy.
SPECIALIZING IN COUPLES COUNSELING: It really hurts when the person you love is focused on “being right”, rather than really getting you! Does your relationship create a deep pain or numbness in your heart? When we start to believe that our LEGITIMATE needs for connection will not be adequately met with our partner, it is easy to focus on our personal needs (at the expense of our partner’s). A NORMAL human response to this is: nagging, petty repetitive fights, silent-treatments, numbing out, outbursts, being condescending, focusing on being right (rather than really listening).
I don’t play referee. I FOCUS ON SHIFTING THE CULTURE OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP from its current negative painful cycles into being a safe place for both of you to GET YOUR ATTACHMENT NEEDS MET! Once that is in place, the painful repetitive power struggles that creates so much pain will become more easily addressable.
I’m extremely good at helping MEN WHO MIGHT OTHERWISE NOT WANT TO BE IN COUNSELING feel comfortable giving it a shot.
I am the co-founder of COUPLES BOOT CAMP, a fun couples group dedicated to powering up relationships with couples skills. I am also the founder of Bay Area Couples Counseling.
For information on HOW DOES TODD WORK?, check out my link, EFT Couples (Emotion Focused Couples Therapy. In a nutshell, I first help you (on an emotional level) pathologize the dance that you get caught in, rather than each other. Once there is a unified team against the nasty dance, we create space for both of you to safely express your underlying attachment longings. Once these underlying attachment longings are able to be held by both of you; then the previous protest behaviors and withdrawing strategies (that are quite painful) will have less of a charge and be less necessary.
WHAT KIND OF COUPLES DOES TODD WORK WITH?
I provide a therapeutic space for premarital couples, high conflict couples, couples with communication problems, and couples having that same old fight again and again.
1) Premarital Counseling / preventative couples therapy
2) Couples caught in negative fighting patterns with communication challenges.
3) High Conflict Couples: You love each other, but drive each other crazy!
4) After couples are stabilized (learn how to be a stable loving empathic base for each other), I work with couples to work as a team to help each other heal their underlying personal work. Basically, I have found that doing individual work in the context of couples therapy, for many people, can be more trans-formative than individual therapy.
My approach works for…
- Couples who live together
- Non-traditional couples
- Couples with kids
- Couples who are thinking about marriage
And it works best if…
- You care about your relationship and want to strengthen it
- You’d like for you and your partner to work more as a team
- You’re willing to listen to your partner, even when you don’t agree
- You’re willing to be honest about your values and what’s important to you
- You want practical tools that will help you move forward quickly
- You’d like a proven, researched approach that has helped 75% of couples resolve their problems
Offices in Berkeley/Oakland (Rockridge) at 3179 College Avenue (the corner of College and Alkatraz).
Easy access from: Berkeley, Oakland, Albany, El Cerrito, Piedmont, Albany, Walnut Creek, Orinda, Lafayette, and the San Francisco Bay Area.
or call 510-686-3390 or email email@example.com